Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Bear's First Ride!




Training is coming along quite well. Bear handled his first saddling without any problems and ponied like a pro.
We ponied a couple of days and, the first day, were in the round pen for a few minutes and then out in the arena; yeilding forequarters, hindquarters and trotting and loping out. Day before yesterday, Cimarron and I ponied Bear out in the pasture and by the feedlot. He has such a can-do attitude! I love it. We rode through some tall kochias; he is a little afraid of going into tall weeds, and up and down the tall banks of an old pond and over tons of fallen trees. I'm curious where he came from. Rocks, hills, bushes, what?
He certainly had plenty of desensitizing to something running up behind, to the side and UNDER him! My golden retriever is such a good helper! Ha! She is a crazy, crazy dog but will definitely break a horse in to spook factors! After the first couple of charges, Bear simply took Cimarron's lead and looked her way, "Oh. Just Gabby". He seems real interested in the feedlot cattle so I think it might be a possibility to do some cow work on him...we'll see!
Here we are yesterday, on the fourteenth day of training and Bear's first ride! With lots of groundwork behind us, the day went wonderfully. He still has that, "Okay. What next?" willingness and is just a joy to train. The walk, trot, canter and small turns were done without a hitch. He has a smooth trot and canter. I was wondering about that, because he looked so long- backed and tall when I first got him. He's starting to fill out a little and maybe he's not as long as I thought. He is tall, though, and feels EXCEPTIONALLY tall when I get on from the off side! Ha! I weight taped him last night and he is approximately 886# and 15.2 hh
Can't wait for today' training! Maybe next week I'll ride him at the ranch in Pritchett.

No comments: