Monday, August 11, 2008

August 10, 2008 Thirty-third ride; Happy Birthday!

We rode pens with dad today and helped him to get out sick cattle. Bear doesn't look at the little calves as well as the 4 and 5 weights. Maybe he thinks they are my black lab, Queen. He isn't concerned about her at all. He did trail this little calf up to the chute pretty well, though. We hung around and watched and listened to the doctoring; the cattle going through the snake and the clanging and banging of the chute. Took the calves back to their pens and opened and closed the gates.
We rode down through one of the river pastures after riding pens. We practiced riding over logs and doing maneuvers over and around logs and did a lot of suppling in the thick tamarisk. Saw a lot of deer and even found a nice big tom-turkey feather!
I think Bear likes going through the river pastures. He is always attentive but seems real relaxed when we ride down there...even with the deer jumping out, Gabby running crazy-wild, coyotes, ducks and cranes and turkeys. I probably enjoy it more, too, especially all of the monster antler sheds we manage to find in our exploration!
I was really tired today; I worked last night, but Bear was great and what a great way to spend my birthday!



3 comments:

Judy MacLeod said...

Hi Judy! Another Judy here, in MO with Bob, my EMM horse. Happy Birthday to you! I'm amazed at the progress you've made with Bear (love his name!). He looks like a good, solid ranch horse, not a green horse at all. I'm just catching up with some of the other blogs and I'm very happy to have found yours! Keep up the great work and we'll see you in Texas!

Jim Hicks said...

Judy,
I never felt the urge to comment but you and your horse look so wonderfull! I realy enjoy seeing a good hand at work. I am Jim Hicks wife Donnette, we are from Utah. Jim my husband is from Nevada High desert country. We will be joining you and Bear in Texas! Good luck the rest of this month!

Donnette

JKB said...

Hi Judy!

That is one nice looking horse! He is so handsome, and you guys look like a good combo!

I'm out surfing for research for my next novel and came across your blog. Keep up the good work!